Resources

Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Journey: Black to Green Thumb

No that isn't a Zlot in my planter pot. Although my Kalanchoe may look like a plant from Dr. Suess, it is a very sad looking, yet determined, little plant. I have given it many "haircuts" to try and prune it and it looks all the more wild and unruly.


I wish it were the only plant in my care that resembled the Dr. Suess' whimsical landscape. Unfortunately, my little Zlot has a buddy. An unfortunate desert rose, which has seen me through three moves and several attempts to balance the right amount of water and sunlight. It goes through a somewhat annual molting phase, where the sad plant sheds all but one lonely leaf. But the persistent little buddy has continued to grow: the result being a rather odd looking whimsical plant. Like many of the Who's from Whoville it has a few little hairlike gatherings of leaves that are at the top of each branch.



Why do I share with you the story of my unique little friends? I desire to turn my Black thumb into a Green thumb, to grow plants that are well nourished without taxing the environment or my patience (to a large extent). So I begin my journey with my goal set: to live not quite like Tom Bombadil, but in the same spirit to have a beautiful garden that creates an oasis from the hectic world around me where I can enjoy the occasion recreational read.

No comments:

Post a Comment