- Do your meal plan ahead of time, but be flexible. If you show up to the market and what you planned on is too expensive, change it. On the flip side if you find a killer sale on an ingredient you know you have recipes for, or that freezes well, stock up!
- Buy in season. Most time veg that is in season will be cheaper, and lets face it, taste a whole lot better.
- Plan the main course, but leave the sides open. See what is on sale and plan your sides once you get to the market. If you don't have a recipe for something you find, a quick google search once you get home will usually yield thousands of results.
- Frozen is your friend. This is a time saver and potentially a money saver. When I say frozen, I'm not talking about that prepared crap like hot pockets, I mean vegetables, uncooked meat, berries, and other fruit. Once again, if you find them on sale they aren't about to go bad, so stock! Thinking ahead is key.
- Use the whole chicken. Buying just the breasts is really expensive by themselves, but a whole chicken is cheap by comparison. Piece it and freeze what you don't use right away or roast it whole. Jamie Oliver has an excellent recipe for whole roasted chickens , and I highly recommend any cook book of his.
- An ever better money saving option to the whole bird is just the legs (thigh and drumstick, bone and skin on). These are hands down the best way to spend your money. While they have their limitations (I would never serve them over a salad) with a little bit of prep you have, in my opinion, the tastiest part of the chicken. I will be posting plenty of recipes that make use of chicken legs.
- Don't be afraid to try new things. Either a new way to make an old favorite or food that you have never tried before, but is dirt cheap when you get to the store.
Wednesday, June 27, 2012
Affordably Eating Grain-free
By removing grain from our diet, we essentially cut out the cheap (and completely indigestible to humans in it's natural form) filler from our meals. Adding on top of that we try to eat organically grown and hormone free when it is available, this can greatly increase the price of the meals we eat, especially since I have a big appetite. Here are a few tips I use to reign in my spending at the grocery store and still eat like a (grain-free) king.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment